Saturday 9: Dead Skunk (1972)
Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here.
1) This song is about a poor dead skunk that stinks “to high heaven.” Have you ever experienced the spray from a skunk?
OMG, yes. My mom lived on a river, her home backed up to the woods. There were lots of skunks out there. One morning, two big bastards sprayed the ENTIRE FREAKING PERIMETER OF HER HOUSE. We were out there for hours trying to eliminate the odor. It was so bad. She lived in a beautiful stone home that was well over two hundred years old, and we hated it in that moment because the skunk spray sank into the sandstone itself. We ended up having to put the winter storm windows on in order to keep as much of the smell out it. In the middle of the summer.
2) Dennis Oliver, a disc jockey in Quincy, IL, played this song every night at 9:00 PM for decades. The only thing that got him to stop was being moved to the morning slot. What song do you never tire of?
It’s a toss up between these two!
3) At Georgia Tech’s Russ Chandler Stadium, the fans sing this during the 7th inning stretch of their baseball games. Do you know the lyrics of the more conventional 7th inning choice, “Take Me Out to the Ballgame?”
Only if I’m singing with the crowd!!
4) This week’s featured artist, Loudon Wainwright III, can play many instruments, but is said to enjoy banjo and ukulele best. If you could magically become proficient on any instrument right now, which would you choose, and why?
The ukulele. My kid plays it and I’m going to make him teach me!
5) He appeared as Capt. Spalding on several episodes of M*A*S*H in the 1970s. If you could transport yourself into the world of your favorite TV show, which would you choose?
I watch a lot of crime or military shows, so I’m not sure about any of them!!
As soon as I saw this topic, I thought of CPT Spalding, even before I saw this question! I’m a hardcore M*A*S*H fan. This is my favorite of his songs on M*A*S*H. It’s a crappy video but the only one I could find!
6) Loudon’s mother was a yoga instructor. What did you most recently do for exercise?
Yoga and dance. Those are my jams.
7) He went to St. Andrew’s School in Delaware, where the movie Dead Poet’s Society, starring Robin Williams, was filmed. When you think of Robin Williams, do you recall his dramatic movie roles, his funny movies, his comedy routines, or Mork from Ork?
Why choose one? He was incredible at both!
8) In 1973, when this song was popular, Norman Mailer created a great deal of buzz with his book about Marilyn Monroe. Do you read many biographies and memoirs? Or do you prefer to read fiction?
I mostly read fiction, but if it’s someone I’m really interested in, I’ll read the biography. Some of my favorites…
9) Random question: You’re on the road, traveling through a town you’ve never been in before, and ready to stop for a quick bite. On one side of the street is a cute little diner called Mom’s. On the other side is McDonald’s. Which do you choose?
Mom’s. I love diners!