Saturday 9: One Bad Apple (1971)
Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here.
1) This song is a play on the old saying that one bad apple can spoil the bunch, or that the bad behavior of one member can reflect badly on the whole group. Do you think that’s true?
Absolutely. People are often wrongly judged by the bad behavior of a segment within a particular group. HOWEVER, I also firmly believe that if those same wrongly judged people continue to codone, either actively OR inactively, the bad behavior of that segment, then they become equally as guilty. In other words, if you haven’t yourself done whatever it is, but you make excuses for or justify that behavior, you are no better. I feel the same way about those who stand by and say nothing and do nothing when they see clearly that wrong is being done.
2) The Osmonds began as The Osmond Brothers, a barbershop quartet that performed at the original Disneyland in Anaheim, California. Today there are 9 Disney Resorts all around the world, as far away as Shanghai. Have you ever been to a Walt Disney property?
I’ve been to Disneyland in California and Disney World in Florida. I’ve also been to the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim and the Aulani on in Hawai’i.
3) By the time the Osmonds made this record, Donny had joined the group and became their breakout star. Without looking it up, can you name any of the other four brothers who performed in video clip?
Alan, Wayne, Jimmy, and Merrill, I think?!
4) In the 1970s, adolescent girls learned through teen magazines that Donny’s favorite color is purple, and that he was especially fond of purple socks. Today, socks are a very big business. There are designer sock manufacturers and even a sock of the month club. Is there a wardrobe item you’re very particular about?
Flip-flops. Classy, I know. In my defense, I live in Hawai’i. It’s all I wear.
5) Donny and younger sister Marie had their own TV variety show. One regular segment had them performing a medley of popular songs, and it began with Marie singing, “I’m a little bit country,” followed by Donny’s musical reply, “I’m a little bit rock and roll.” In this regard, are you more like sister or brother?
Totally the brother. In my siblings, we are all rock and roll in our own ways.
6) Donny’s popularity continues today. Fans have seen him win Dancing with the Stars (season 9) and come in as a runner up on the first season of The Masked Singer. Do you watch either of these shows — or other competition series, like American Idol, The Voice, America’s Got Talent, etc.?
I haven’t watched The Voice or American Idol in years. But I used to watch DWTS, although not as much any more. I love The Masked Singer and The Masked Dancer. I also watch So You Think You Can Dance and AGT. And Ink Master.
7) Donny has also appeared on Broadway. He surprised audiences and got rave reviews as arrogant bad guy Gaston in Disney’s Beauty and the Beast. Tell us about a time when your behavior surprised those who know you well.
I sang at a military funeral years ago. None of my soldiers knew I could sing, so there was that. I also gave the eulogy at my dad’s funeral, which was appropriately funny. There were some lawyers there who didn’t know me and didn’t know I had it in me. But they all told me it was perfect for my Dad.
8) Donny is also a grandfather, many times over! Sam admits she’s not crazy about that revelation because it makes her feel old. What’s something that makes you feel your years?
The fact that my oldest kid is about to turn 29 in September and my youngest will be 18 in October.
9) Random question: We’re filling a pinata with your favorite candies. What should we buy?
Kit Kat, Butterfingers, Almond Joy, and Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.