Saturday 9: the promise of a new day (1991)
Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here.
1) In this song, Paula Abdul celebrates the promise of a new day. Here at Saturday 9, we’re celebrating the promise of a new year. What do you hope 2022 will bring?
- An end to COVID, not that I think that’s likely, thanks to all those who still refuse to give a damn about their fellow human beings.
- Justice for those involved in the insurrection, especially those at the top, including 45.
- More love, less hatred.
2) She sings that we should see the wisdom from mistakes of the past. What wisdom did you gain in 2021?
Not all wisdom gained is positive. I’ve learned a lot about people, not just over 2021, but over the course of the last few years. I’ve always been a person that assumes the best about people, often to my detriment. That is something that has definitely changed for me.
3) What is something you’d like to spend more time doing in 2022?
I would like to do more writing. My creative muse did a lot of quarantining, too, unfortunately. I would also love to resume my “adventures in food” dates with my husband. This island is a mecca for great food, and pre-COVID, we’d have dinner dates at new and favorite restaurants.
4) Paula Abdul was once a “Laker Girl” and performed at L.A. Laker games. Do you have a favorite NBA team?
Nope. I’m an NHL girl. Go, Rangers!
5) In 2009, she hosted RAH!, an elite cheer leading competition. Do you remember any cheers from your school years?
Not a one!
6) While famous for performing, Paula has arguably been more successful for her work behind the scenes, winning an Emmy for her choreography. Are you comfortable being the center of attention? Or would you rather work behind the scenes?
Once upon a time, I was okay with being the center of attention. I’m more of a behind-the-scenes girl these days.
7) She taught actor Val Kilmer how to dance for his role as Jim Morrison in the biopic The Doors. What talent, knowledge or advice have you recently shared?
I’m an editor, as well as a writer, so I use that knowledge a lot.
8) Paula was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in 2005 and uses a prescription biologic every day to help her cope with pain in her toes. On your last trip to the drug store, did you pick up a prescription, or something else?
Allegra-D for the hubs, and some face masks, the kind for pampering. I’m obsessed with the things.
9) Random question: You have been house-hunting for months. You finally find your dream home and are just about to say “yes” when you spot a mouse scurrying across the floor. Would you take the house anyway?
I would, although I’d probably have the house checked to make sure they hadn’t caused significant damage. Otherwise, it’s not hard to deal with them.