Let me preface this… I’m solidly pro-choice. Solidly. I don’t judge you if you don’t want abortions, and I don’t judge if you choose to have one. I 100% support YOUR CHOICE!
Texas is a hypocritical, GOP suckhole. A statement that largely holds true for ALL GOP-led states.
“My body, my choice.”
The anti-masker/anti-vaxxer types have been slinging this around as their own rallying cry. Do they not get the irony of that? Do they know how utterly stupid and hypocritical they sound?
It’s a phrase that’s been used for decades in the United States as a feminist call for bodily autonomy for reproductive rights and other women’s rights.
You know… the same rights that Texas just shit all over. And that the Supreme Court is utterly ignoring. Thank you, in part, Amy Coney Barrett, I’m sure. And you can bet that more GOP-led states will follow suit with similar legislation.
It’s very clear that “my body, my choice” only applies to a fucking piece of fabric and a vaccine that are used TO FUCKING SAVE LIVES. But women? Who the fuck cares, right?
This Texas law bans abortions after six weeks. Let’s unpack this, shall we?
- Most women don’t know they’re pregnant that early.
- Some women have irregular cycles that would inhibit knowing they were pregnant.
- Some women continue to have cycles within the beginning of pregnancy.
- The law makes no concession for rape or incest.
- The law allows any private citizen, with or without a relationship of any kind to any party involved in the lawsuit, to not only sue abortion providers but anyone else who in any way helps a woman get an abortion.
- This includes loaning her money.
- This includes giving a ride.
- If the suit is successful, the person suing is awarded $10,000.
- In other words, the system is gamed. It is set up so that people can potentially make money off the back of someone else’s situation, a situation which IN NO WAY involves them. It’s a solid encouragement for private citizens to become Big Brother against women.
- In other words, there is a $10,000 bounty reward.
This is a war on women.